Back to the Blog
This Week at Ace’s – March 6 – March 10, 2019 – The Music, The Artists & More
Ace Gillett’s Musical Happenings – Week of 03.06.19
Greetings, Jazz Fans! Ace Gillett’s Music Director John Olson here to let you know what we have cued up for this week:
Jenna McLean & Jack Roben
- Wednesday, 3/6 – 7:30 to 11:00
- Jenna McLean is back on vocals this evening, accompanied by Jack Roben on guitar. Jenna’s new album “Brighter Day” has been out for a couple of weeks now, and I highly recommend purchasing one from her when you have an opportunity. It’s an outstanding debut release, featuring Ace Gillett’s regulars Steve Kovalcheck, Tom Amend, Seth Lewis and Brian Claxton.
- Thursday, 3/7 – 8:00 to Midnight
- The Subterraneans welcome guitarist Steve Kovalcheck, accompanied by Spencer Zweifel, Seth Lewis and myself. If you haven’t had an opportunity to hear Steve perform before, call your guitarist friends and come down to see what you’ve been missing!
- Friday, 3/8 – 8:00 to Midnight
- The Subterraneans welcome Gabriel Mervine for a rare Friday night appearance. Since leaving the Motet after a 9-year-stint, Gabriel has become a weekly fixture on the Denver jazz scene. We try to feature him at Ace’s at least a couple of times a month, and it’s great to have him on a Friday night! Tom Amend, Seth Lewis and myself will round out the quartet for the evening.
Spencer Zweifel Trio
- Saturday, 3/9 – 8:00 to Midnight
- Spencer Zweifel will be featured in a Trio setting with Matt Smiley and myself. In addition to his studies at UNC, Spencer keeps busy with a variety of Northern Colorado bands, including Manabi Salsa who regularly perform for the salsa dance nights at the Agave Room.
- Sunday, 3/10 – 7:00 to 11:00 pm
- This Sunday is a rare opportunity to see pianist Ben Markley in a solo setting. If the mood is right, we might be able to convince him to sing a few numbers as well! Ben has been incredibly busy this Spring, recently finishing up recordings for a new album featuring saxophonist Joel Frahm. I’ll keep you informed on a release date when available.
Please note that our Monthly Jazz Jam Session is moving to a new night for March only – Sunday, 3/17, from 7:00 to 11:00 pm. Since that’s St. Patrick’s Day, green ties are encouraged along with any Irish Jazz Jigs you might want to play. Your hosts for the evening will be Jack Roben, Seth Lewis and myself – I hope to see you there!
As always, Thank You for supporting live jazz at Ace Gillett’s – I hope to see you there soon!
Ace Gillett’s Lounge