This Week at Ace’s – January 30-February 3, 2019 – The Music, The Artists & More
Ace Gillett’s Musical Happenings – Week of 01.30.19
Greetings, Jazz Fans! Ace Gillett’s Music Director John Olson here to let you know what we have cued up for this week:
Steve Kovalcheck & Kenyon Brenner
- Wednesday, 01/30 – 7:30 to 11:00
- Tonight’s duo will be an instrumental session, as we feature two popular Ace Gillett’s regulars that are part of the UNC Music Faculty. Steve Kovalcheck on guitar and Kenyon Brenner on tenor sax will be a playing a variety of classic jazz standards this evening in the Lounge.
- Thursday, 01/31 – 8:00 to Midnight
- The Subterraneans will be closing out January with a stellar quartet featuring Steve Kovalcheck, Jeff Jenkins, Seth Lewis and myself. It’s been a while since we’ve had Steve and Jeff on the same date, and I know it’s going to be a fun night to remember. Jeff usually brings a few original compositions to add to the mix of standards and soul-jazz that will likely be played throughout the night. Don’t miss this one!
- Friday, 2/1– 8:00 to Midnight
- The Subterraneans kick off February with the always entertaining Andrew Vogt, on multiple saxophones. Andrew will be accompanied by keyboard-phenom Tom Amend, Seth Lewis and myself on drums. It might be cold outside, but the basement jazz on Friday will be hot, hot hot!
- Saturday, 2/2 – 8:00 to Midnight
- It’s a busy week at Ace’s for Steve Kovalcheck, as he’s back in a Trio setting featuring Conner Koch on bass and myself on drums. This will be the first time this Trio has performed together and it’s always a fun adventure when regular performers play together in new settings. Special Thanks to Steve for helping us out with some last-minute schedule changes this week!
- Sunday, 2/3
Ace Gillett’s will be closed for the Super Bowl – I guess I’m supposed to call it the “Big Game,” because only AB-Inbev is allowed to use the words Super Bowl during this time of year. Mark Sloniker will be back for his usual Sunday slot on 2/10.
Save the date for a special Valentine’s Dinner night at Ace Gillett’s on Thursday, 2/14/19. The Subterraneans will be starting an hour earlier that evening, playing from 7:00 to 11:00 pm. I’ve booked a stellar quartet for the occasion featuring Gabriel Mervine on trumpet and flugelhorn, Eric Gunnison on piano, Seth Lewis on bass and myself on drums. Chef Dan is planning some special dinner menu items for what is certain to be the most romantic, jazziest night in town!
As always, Thank You for supporting live jazz at Ace Gillett’s – I hope to see you there soon!
Ace Gillett’s Lounge