This Week at Ace’s – January 23-27, 2019 – The Music, The Artists & More
Ace Gillett’s Musical Happenings: Week of 01.23.19
Greetings, Jazz Fans! Ace Gillett’s Music Director John Olson here to let you know what we have cued up for this week:
Jenna McLean & Eric Gunnison
- Wednesday, 01/23 – 7:30 to 11:00
- Tonight we feature the lovely and talented Jenna McLean on vocals, accompanied by Eric Gunnison on piano. Eric is one of the more legendary jazz performers on the scene in Colorado, and is always a “first call” for touring musicians that come to the area. He recently did two nights with Roberta Gambarini at Dazzle in Denver and was once a member of Carmen McRae’s group. This will be a great night of swinging standards and romantic ballads – the perfect soundtrack for an Ace Gillett’s date night!
- Thursday, 01/24 – Ace Gillett’s will be closed for a Private Event.
- Friday, 01/25– 8:00 to Midnight
- The Subterraneans welcome back Jack Roben on guitar, accompanied by Seth Lewis, Adam Revell and myself on drums. Jack moved to Colorado last Fall after finishing his under-grad work at the University of North Texas, to pursue his Masters’ at UNC. He has quickly become a regular favorite in the Ace Gillett’s soloist rotation. Adam was part of the New Year’s Eve band and we’re excited to hear him in a more traditional jazz setting. This will be the first time this quartet has performed together and I’m really looking forward to it!
Ben Markley Trio
- Saturday, 01/26 – 8:00 to Midnight
- Ace Gillett’s welcomes back the Ben Markley Trio for their regular Saturday night slot. Ben will be accompanied by Seth Lewis and myself. This Trio plays together so often that the musical telepathy is usually on “high alert,” as Ben leads us through an eclectic mix of jazz standards and Cedar Walton classics.
- Sunday, 01/27 – 7:00 to 11:00
- Local Legend Mark Sloniker is back for more Sunday night fun in the Lounge. Mark’s first set is typically solo piano with a mix of jazz standards and originals. Later in the evening, he is often joined by his wife Colleen and daughter Emma for some family vocals. Come on down and see why Sunday nights at Ace’s are so much fun!
Save the date for a special Valentine’s Dinner night at Ace Gillett’s on Thursday, 2/14/19. The Subterraneans will be starting an hour earlier that evening, playing from 7:00 to 11:00 pm. I’ve booked a stellar quartet for the occasion featuring Gabriel Mervine on trumpet and flugelhorn, Eric Gunnison on piano, Seth Lewis on bass and myself on drums. Chef Dan is planning some special dinner menu items for what is certain to be the most romantic, jazziest night in town!
As always, Thank You for supporting live jazz at Ace Gillett’s – I hope to see you there soon!
Ace Gillett’s Lounge