Back to the Blog
This Week at Ace’s – February 6-10, 2019 – The Music, The Artists & More
Ace Gillett’s Musical Happenings – Week of 02.06.19
Greetings, Jazz Fans! Ace Gillett’s Music Director John Olson here to let you know what we have cued up for this week:
Jenna McLean & Steve Kovalcheck
- Wednesday, 2/6 – 7:30 to 11:00
- Jenna McLean is back for her Wednesday vocal session, accompanied tonight by Steve Kovalcheck on guitar. Her new album is set for release soon, so I would expect to hear some tunes from that offering this evening. It’s a cold and snowy day here in Fort Collins, so tonight is the perfect evening to cozy up at Ace Gillett’s for some live jazz.
- Thursday, 2/7 – 8:00 to Midnight
- The Subterraneans will be featuring Briana Harris on alto sax, with special guest Annie Booth on piano, joined by Seth Lewis and myself. Bri is a founding member of Greeley’s “Sweaty Soul” favorites the Burroughs and is an active performer on the Colorado jazz scene. Annie used to play with us weekly at Ace Gillett’s before her Denver performance calendar became so hectic. She leads the Annie Booth Trio based out of Denver, and is a multiple-time “Best Jazz” winner for Westword magazine. This will be the first time we’ve had this quartet together, and I’ve been looking forward to it for weeks!
- Friday, 2/8– 8:00 to Midnight
- The Subterraneans will be joined by tenor saxophonist Kenyon Brenner, accompanied by Jeff Jenkins, Seth Lewis and myself. Kenyon is a talented member of the UNC Jazz Faculty and a long-time regular soloist at Ace Gillett’s. Friday night is sure to be a swingin’ session that you don’t want to miss!
The Ben Markley Trio
- Saturday, 2/9 – 8:00 to Midnight
- The Ben Markley Trio is back for its’ usual Saturday slot, accompanied this week by Seth Lewis and talented young drummer Ryan Leppich. Ryan’s hard swinging groove brings to mind his mentor Jeff Hamilton, and I know this is going to be an amazing night of jazz. I’ll be playing a rare Rock gig at another venue on Saturday, but plan to make it down to Ace’s by the last set to see this outstanding Trio.
- Sunday, 2/10 – 7:00 to 11:00 pm
- This will be your last opportunity to see and hear Mark Sloniker in action at Ace’s before we close for a few weeks to remodel. Sunday’s are a weekly favorite as Mark starts the evening with solo piano, typically being joined by his wife Colleen and daughter Emma on vocals for later sets. Hearing the family improvise and harmonize together is always a treat, and Mark’s loyal fans should be out in full force for the evening.
Save the date for a special Valentine’s Dinner night at Ace Gillett’s on Thursday, 2/14/19. The Subterraneans will be starting two hours earlier that evening, playing from 6:00 to 10:00 pm. I’ve booked a stellar quartet for the occasion featuring Gabriel Mervine on trumpet and flugelhorn, Eric Gunnison on piano, Seth Lewis on bass and myself on drums. Chef Dan is planning some special dinner menu items for what is certain to be the most romantic, jazziest night in town!
As always, Thank You for supporting live jazz at Ace Gillett’s – I hope to see you there soon!
Ace Gillett’s Lounge