This Week at Ace’s – January 16-20, 2019 – The Music, The Artists & More
Ace Gillett’s Musical Happenings – Week of 01.16.19
Greetings and Happy New Year, Jazz Fans! Ace Gillett’s Music Director John Olson here to let you know what we have cued up for this week:
Jenna McLean & Ben Markley
- Wednesday, 01/16 – 7:30 to 11:00
- Tonight we feature the lovely and talented Jenna McLean on vocals, accompanied by Ben Markley on piano. Regulars know Ben from his Saturday Trio performances from the past several years. It was Ben that introduced me to Jenna, shortly after she finished her under-grad degree at the University of Wyoming where Ben is the Director of Jazz Studies. Jenna used to come out and sit in on several nights when Ben was playing, and now she’s an integral part of our musical family. Jenna’s debut album “Brighter Day,” will be released on February 21st. I’m looking forward to hearing it, but until then come on down to hear her in person!
- Thursday, 01/17 – 8:00 to Midnight
- The Subterraneans welcome back UNC faculty member Kenyon Brenner on tenor sax, accompanied by Jeff Jenkins, Seth Lewis and myself. Kenyon has been joining us at Ace’s since our early days and it’s always a fun, swinging session when he’s on the bill.
Peter Sommer & Ben Markley
- Friday, 01/18– 8:00 to Midnight
- The Subterraneans welcome back two of my favorite jazz professors, v Peter is the Director of Jazz Studies at Colorado State and Ben holds the same position at the University of Wyoming. The two of them have played together in multiple settings for a number of years and it’s always a treat when I can find a date when they are both available to play. Seth Lewis and myself will be rounding out the rhythm section – come on down and see why this is one of my favorite quartets.
- Saturday, 01/19 – 8:00 to Midnight
- The Subterraneans welcome Ace’s regular Steve Kovalcheck on guitar in a Trio setting, accompanied by Seth Lewis and yours truly. We’ve done this a couple of times lately and it’s been a lot of fun. I expect Steve to bring out the black Fender Stratocaster and at least (8) effects on his pedal board. Come on down and count for yourself!
- Sunday, 01/20 – 7:00 to 11:00
- Local Legend Mark Sloniker is back for more Sunday night fun in the Lounge. Mark’s first set is typically solo piano with an eclectic mix of jazz standards and originals. Later in the evening, he is often joined by his wife Colleen and daughter Emma for some family vocals. Take a break from a long day of football to see why Sunday nights at Ace’s are so much fun!
Save the date for a special Valentine’s Dinner night at Ace Gillett’s on Thursday, 2/14/19. The Subterraneans will be starting an hour earlier that evening, playing from 7:00 to 11:00 pm. I’ve booked a stellar quartet for the occasion featuring Gabriel Mervine on trumpet and flugelhorn, Eric Gunnison on piano, Seth Lewis on bass and myself on drums. Chef Dan is planning some special dinner menu items for what is certain to be the most romantic, jazziest night in town!
As always, Thank You for supporting live jazz at Ace Gillett’s – I hope to see you there soon!
Ace Gillett’s Lounge