This Week at Ace’s – February 20-24, 2019 – The Music, The Artists & More
Ace Gillett’s Musical Happenings – Week of 02.20.19
Greetings, Jazz Fans! Ace Gillett’s Music Director John Olson here to let you know what we have cued up for this week:
Jenna McLean & Eric Gunnison
- Wednesday, 2/20 – 7:30 to 11:00
- Jenna McLean is back for her Wednesday vocal session, accompanied this evening by the esteemed Eric Gunnison on piano. Eric is a longtime fixture on the Denver jazz scene, who’s credits include the Lettermen, Rare Silk, Carmen McRae, Nelson Rangell, Roberta Gambarini, Christian McBride and the Dizzy Gillespie All-stars among many others. Jenna’s new album “Brighter Day” is officially released tomorrow. I listened to an advance copy last week and it’s incredible!
- Thursday, 2/21 – 8:00 to Midnight
- The Subterraneans welcome back pianist Jeff Jenkins in a Trio setting with Matt Smiley and myself. Emma Sloniker was enjoying the music at Ace’s a couple of weeks back when Jeff was on the gig. As she was introducing herself to Jeff, I said “This man is the reason your father moved to Fort Collins.” Jeff was a founding member of the fusion group Kenesis in the early 80’s. When Jeff left for New York to play for Broadway Shows, Emma’s father Mark moved to Fort Collins to take his place. As you’re probably aware, Mark has been a fixture on the local music scene ever since. It’s always a treat to play with Jeff – in a Trio setting he consistently brings new music, so I’m looking forward to learning some new songs.
- Friday, 2/22 – 8:00 to Midnight
- The Subterraneans will be joined by young guitar phenom Jack Roben, accompanied by Seth Lewis, Daniel Thompson and myself. Jack has quickly become a staple on the Northern Colorado jazz scene, moving here last fall to pursue his Masters at UNC.
The Ben Markley Trio
- Saturday, 2/23 – 8:00 to Midnight
- The Ben Markley Trio returns, featuring Seth Lewis and myself. Ben consistently includes an eclectic mix of Standards and not-so-standards in his repertoire. Compositions from Cedar Walton, Bill Evans, Herbie Hancock and Chick Corea are all likely to be covered on nights when Ben is at the piano. Come early for your best shot at a good seat near the band!
The Steve Denny Trio
- Sunday, 2/24 – 7:00 to 11:00 pm
- We have a special night in store for you this Sunday evening as we feature the Steve Denny Trio, visiting from New York City for their annual Colorado pilgrimage. Steve and his bandmates, Marty Kenney on bass and Ben Waters on drums are old friends of Ace Gillett’s, having performed here individually and collectively many times over the years. This is a working Trio that plays together all of the time, and it shows. Their musical empathy is unparalleled as they perform of mix of jazz standards and originals. They typically make a visit to Colorado only once a year, so don’t miss your opportunity to hear this talented Trio!
As always, Thank You for supporting live jazz at Ace Gillett’s – I hope to see you there soon!
Ace Gillett’s Lounge