Back to the Blog
This Week at Ace’s – May 29 – June 2, 2019 – The Music, The Artists & More
Ace Gillett’s Musical Happenings – Week of 5.29.19
Greetings, Jazz Fans! Ace Gillett’s Music Director John Olson here to let you know what we have cued up for this last week of May:
Jazz Jam Session
- Wednesday, 5/29 – 7:00 to 11:00 pm
- Tonight we’re back to our weekly Jazz Jam Session, hosted by Spencer Zweifel, Seth Lewis and myself. Drums, Piano, Bass and a Vocal mic are all provided. As always, we ask that interested performers follow our musician’s dress code of suit and tie for men and cocktail attire for women. All playing levels are welcome and encouraged to attend. Now that we’re on a weekly schedule, I’m hoping our jam will be a destination location for jazz musicians to meet and network with like-minded players. Drummers – if you didn’t have a chance to try out the Canopus Club Kit, it’s back for another round tonight!
Andrew Vogt & Steve Kovalcheck
- Thursday, 5/30 – 7:00 to 11:00 pm
- the Subterraneans welcome back sax-man Andrew Vogt and guitarist Steve Kovalcheck, accompanied by Seth Lewis and myself. Please note our new, one-hour-earlier starting time for Thursday nights. Happy Hour starts at 4:00 pm, with Live Jazz in the Lounge from 7:00 to 11:00 pm. This will be the second time this year that we’ve featured Andrew and Steve together and it’s sure to be a night to remember! It’s also Andrew’s last performance in town for several weeks, as he and his wife Laura are about to depart on an anniversary trip to Ireland. Congratulations, Laura and Andrew!
Kenyon Brenner, Ben Parrish & Connor Koch
- Friday, 5/31 – 8:00 to Midnight
- The Subterraneans are closing out the month of May with tenor saxophonist Kenyon Brenner, Guitarist Ben Parrish, Connor Koch on bass and myself on drums. Here’s another example of a group of musicians that know each other, but have never performed together as a quartet in this setting. These are all players that I thoroughly enjoy playing with and I’m excited to hear what this quartet will sound like!
Jeff Jenkins Trio
- Saturday, 6/1 – 8:00 to Midnight
- The Subterraneans welcome Jeff Jenkins on piano in a Trio setting with Connor Koch and myself. Jeff always brings some unique charts and music choices for his nights at Ace Gillett’s and I’m looking forward to hearing what he’s been shedding this week.
- Sunday, 6/2 – 7:00 to 11:00 pm
- Mark Sloniker is back playing solo piano in the Lounge from 7:00 to 11:00 pm. Mark is a weekly favorite at Ace Gillett’s and is usually joined by family and friends for his second and third sets. He has earned his status as a local legend, having undoubtably played more nights of live music in Fort Collins than anyone else on record!
As you may have already heard, renovations for Ace Gillett’s are on hold for the time being. Spread the word that we’ll continue featuring your favorite food, cocktails and Live Jazz Wednesday through Sunday nights until further notice. If you haven’t had a chance to see the renovations at the Armstrong, come on down and admire the transformation!
As always, Thank You for supporting Live Jazz at Ace Gillett’s – I hope to see you there soon!
Ace Gillett’s Lounge