Back to the Blog
This Week at Ace’s – November 28-December 2, 2018 – The Music, The Artists & More
Ace Gillett’s Musical Happenings – Week of 11.28.18
Greetings, Jazz Fans! Ace Gillett’s Music Director John Olson here to let you know what we have cued up for your listening pleasure this week:
Jenna McLean & Jack Roben
- Wednesday, 11/28 – 7:30 to 11:00
- We’re happy to welcome back Jenna McLean on vocals, accompanied by Jack Roben on guitar. Jenna and Jack are working a lot as a duo these days, at Ace Gillett’s and other Northern Colorado venues. If you haven’t had an opportunity to hear them together, you owe it to yourself to check them out on one of their Wednesday night performances. Jenna is a highly skilled jazz vocalist, with literally hundreds of songs in her ever-expanding repertoire. I don’t know how she remembers all of them, as I’ve never seen her use charts for music or lyrics! Jack’s expressive and supportive accompaniment is the perfect added ingredient to her vocal prowess.
- Thursday, 11/29 – 8:00 to Midnight
- The Subterraneans will be featuring Kenyon Brenner on tenor sax, Tom Amend on piano, Seth Lewis on bass and myself on drums. It’s been several months since this quartet played together, and their inherent musical chemistry should make for an exciting night of improvisation and musical empathy.
- Friday, 11/30– 8:00 to Midnight
- the Subterraneans welcome back Peter Sommer on tenor sax, Jeff Jenkins on piano, Seth Lewis on bass and yours truly on drums. This is the first time this quartet configuration has ever performed together, and I’m excited to hear Peter and Jeff together. Don’t miss this one!
The Ben Markley Trio
- Saturday, 12/1 – 8:00 to Midnight
- The Ben Markley Trio kicks off December, with Ben joined by Seth Lewis and myself. Now that it’s officially December, we might even bust out a few Holiday jazz classics (and it’s time to put the lights back on my drums!).
- Sunday, 12/02– 7:00 to 11:00
- Fort Collins’ longtime favorite pianist Mark Sloniker joins us for his regular Sunday slot. Mark plays an eclectic collection of jazz standards, pop tunes and original compositions. He’s frequently joined by his wife Colleen and daughter Emma and vocals, as well as a variety of musical friends that sit in throughout the evening. Come see why Sunday nights are a long-running favorite at Ace Gillett’s!
- Mark your calendars for 12/10/18, as we continue our Jazz Jam Session on it’s traditional second Monday of the month, from 7:00 to 11:00 pm. As always, out of respect to the golden era of jazz we ask that all performers follow the Ace Gillett’s musicians dress code – suit and tie for men, cocktail attire for women.
Stay tuned for upcoming information on our New Year’s Eve Celebration featuring Cristine Barbosa and the High Five Band and a special Ace Gillett’s Concert featuring the Dave King Trio on Thursday, 12/20/18! We hope to have tickets available for both events on the Ace Gillett’s website, later this week.
As always, Thank You for supporting live jazz at Ace Gillett’s – I hope to see you there soon!
Ace Gillett’s Lounge