This Week at Ace’s – July 24 – 28, 2019 – The Music, The Artists & More
Ace Gillett’s Musical Happenings – Week of 7.24.19
Greetings, Jazz Fans! Ace Gillett’s Music Director John Olson here to let you know what we have cued up for this week:
Jazz Jam Session
- Wednesday, 7/24 – 7:00 to 11:00 pm
- Tonight we’re having our weekly Jazz Jam Session, hosted by Spencer Zweifel, Connor Koch and myself. Drums, Piano, Bass and a Vocal mic are all provided. As always, we ask that interested performers follow our musician’s dress code of suit and tie for men and cocktail attire for women. All playing levels are welcome and encouraged to attend. Now that we’re on a weekly schedule, I’m hoping our jam will be a destination location for jazz musicians to meet and network with like-minded players.
Tom Amend Trio
- Thursday, 7/25 – 7:00 to 11:00 pm
- The Subterraneans welcome Tom Amend in a Trio setting with Matt Smiley and myself. Tom has been a long-time performer at Ace Gillett’s and is in high demand for the Denver jazz scene. Tracks from his new Organ Trio CD “Frontier Justice” are in regular rotation on KUVO Jazz Radio, 89.3 on your FM dial!
- Friday, 7/26 – 8:00 to Midnight
- The Subterraneans welcome Briana Harris on alto saxophone. Bri will be joined by Spencer Zweifel, Matt Smiley and myself. Bri is a member of Greeley’s “sweaty soul” favorites “the Burroughs,” who have released a couple of new singles this week. I know the Burroughs have a busy schedule this summer, including an upcoming show in Alaska! Come on down to see Bri and find out where she’s playing next.
Ben Markley Trio
- Saturday, 7/27 – 8:00 to Midnight
- The Subterraneans welcome the return of the Ben Markley Trio, with special guest Jim Pisano on tenor saxophone. Jim is part of the jazz faculty at Wichita State University and we try to feature him whenever he visits Colorado. Matt Smiley and myself will round out the quartet for the night. Jim and Ben used to play together frequently when Ben was living in Kansas, so this is definitely going to be a fun musical reunion!
- Sunday, 7/28 – 7:00 to 11:00 pm
- Mark Sloniker is back playing solo piano in the Lounge from 7:00 to 11:00 pm. Mark is a weekly favorite at Ace Gillett’s and is usually joined by family and friends for his second and third sets. Mark has earned his status as a local legend, having undoubtably played more nights of live music in Fort Collins than anyone else on record!
As you may have already heard, renovations for Ace Gillett’s are on hold for the time being. Spread the word that we’ll continue featuring your favorite food, cocktails and Live Jazz Wednesday through Sunday nights until further notice. If you haven’t had a chance to see the renovations at the Armstrong, come on down and admire the transformation!
As always, Thank You for supporting Live Jazz at Ace Gillett’s – I hope to see you there soon!
Ace Gillett’s Lounge